Marketing objectives define what you want to accomplish through your marketing activities.
When setting objectives it is very important to ensure that your objectives are; specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time specific, or SMART for short:
- Specific: Are your objectives stated in a way that is precise about what you are hoping to achieve?
- Measurable: Can you quantify each objective, i.e. can you use a unit of measure such as market share in percentage or dollars or other to provide a way to check your level of success?
- Achievable: Are your objectives reasonable in terms of what you can actually achieve or are you setting your sights too high?
- Realistic: Do you have sufficient resources to achieve the objectives you have set, if you don’t then they are likely to be unrealistic?
- Time specific: When are you hoping to achieve these objectives, you need to define a timing plan with target timing for each specific objective?